Congratulations on your admission to American University's School of Communication! Our faculty, staff and students are delighted to welcome you to our community. We look forward to working with you throughout your graduate academic and professional journey.
- Pay your non-refundable seat deposit (USD $250) before April 15. Go to the AU Student Account Creation. Enter your information. Your seven-digit AU ID was provided to you in your admit letter that arrived via email. Select Eagle Finance to pay your deposit.
- If your plans have changed, visit the FAQ section Admission Decisions.
- Sign up for events (Admitted Student Day; Webinar on How to Enroll; and Orientation).
- Set up your AU e-mail account.
- Register for classes. Registration begins on April 22 (fall term).
- Were you awarded a graduate assistantship? Learn more about next steps.
- Students are automatically enrolled in AU's Student Health Insurance Plan. If you would like to waive the insurance plan, please read the waiver information. Review AU's immunization requirements and Tuition Insurance Information and Enrollment.
- Get your AU One Card (ID card) at the One Card Office before the start of classes.
- Register with Academic Support and Access Center if you need special accommodations.
- Submit official transcripts from your undergraduate and/or graduation institutions by the first day of Fall classes. Transcripts must show the date your degree was conferred. The institution must send official transcripts directly to AU.
- Full-time students pick up your U-Pass Metro card during Welcome Week or the first week of classes.
Admitted Students Welcome
April 11, 2021 | 2:00 - 4:00pm EDT
You will receive an email invite after you have been admitted.
How to Register for Classes Webinars
April 19 – April 23, 2021
You will receive an email invite after you have paid your seat deposit.
Orientation for incoming SOC graduate students will be held on Friday, August 27, 2021 (Additional details will be made available in early summer).
Students in either the MA in Film & Media Production, MFA in Film & Media Arts, or the MFA in Games and Interactive Media: To request to opt-out from Boot Camp Courses (COMM 610 and COMM 663) or Principles of Photography (COMM 630), please send an email to email@example.com, requesting instructions to opt-out either one or both courses. Write in the subject line which course or courses you wish to request to opt-out. If you are approved, you will be required to earn the credits by completing other SOC course(s).