The intention of this program is to give talented students an opportunity to explore an intellectual interest in depth and at length. The eight weeks of the program are understood to be the beginning of a process that might take six months or a year from conception to final product. The SSA is not expected to complete the project in the eight week period funded by the scholarship. As the SSA’s thinking matures, their scholarship might find its final form in an independent study or may become the basis for a capstone the following year. Below are some examples of appropriate outcomes for the funding period:
- Substantive literature review with annotated bibliography
- Research design
- First draft of paper
- Construction of a data set that would serve to further the project
- Completion of live subject interviews that would serve a broader analysis of the project
- Extensive science lab benchwork that demonstrates knowledge of materials, methods, and equipment
- Report of preliminary results and analysis of scientific work
- Demonstrated progress on a film, work of art, or performance
The selection committee will be composed of faculty and staff from each school and the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Education. The committee will choose a total of 8 SSAs.
The deadline for submitting your application and supporting documents is Monday, April 19th, 2021.
Scholars will be notified of their award status by Wednesday, April 28th 2021.