You are here: American University Provost Office of the Dean of Faculty Term Faculty Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I apply for a multi-year contract?
The university can only provide a limited number of multi-year contracts ranging from 2 years to 5. The number of multi-year contracts available depends on student enrollment and other resource considerations and is reconsidered on an annual basis. A multi-year contract is not related to promotion. When available, multi-year contracts will be assigned following each teaching unit’s term faculty reappointment guidelines.

Is there a salary increase for rank promotion?
A salary increase is granted when a term faculty member is promoted from Professorial Lecturer to Senior Professorial Lecturer and from Assistant Professor to Associate Professor. A salary increase is granted when a term faculty member is promoted from Senior Professorial Lecturer to Hurst Senior Professorial Lecturer and from Associate Professor to Full Professor. There is no compensation when a faculty member’s title changes from Instructor to Professorial Lecturer nor when a faculty member’s rank changes from Senior Professorial Lecturer to Associate Professor.

Can I move from the professorial lecturer sequence to the assistant professor sequence?
A term faculty at the rank of professorial lecturer with an exceptional research portfolio that is equivalent to that of a tenure-line colleague may be promoted to associate professor following the guidelines established in the Faculty Manual (May 2018). Term faculty at the rank of professorial lecturer may not change their rank to assistant professor.

What is the parental leave for term faculty?
Term faculty are eligible for a six-week short term disability paid leave following the birth of a child. If the birth involved surgery an eight-week paid leave is granted. If unpaid FMLA leave eligibility requirements are met, the short-term disability leave runs concurrently with FMLA medical leave; in addition, up to 16 weeks of unpaid FMLA family leave is available for child care bonding if taken within one year of birth or adoption and within the contract term.

As a term faculty member, am I eligible for research grants/support?
Each academic unit provides faculty support funds for term faculty. Please check with the Dean’s Office in your unit for further information. Additionally, all full-time faculty, including term faculty on single-year and on multi-year contracts, are eligible to compete for the Faculty Research Support Grant (FRSG) provided by the Office of the Provost. For further information, please visit the following website: Term faculty are also eligible to apply for a Curriculum Development Award from the Office of the Dean of Faculty. For further information, please visit:

Can I apply for faculty travel grants/support?
Faculty support funds may be used for traveling to conferences or seminars. There is no specific travel grant /support other than what has been described in the previous question.