The Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FSAP) is confidential and makes professional personal counseling services available to all full-time and part-time faculty and staff members and their immediate families.
FSAP is currently providing virtual sessions. FSAP provides assessment, short-term counseling, referral to community services, follow-up contact, and other services. These services provide assistance in coping with:
- physical or emotional problems
- family and workplace stress and related issues
- alcohol and other substance abuse
- child care and elder care other issues
- or problems that may affect emotional or physical health and well-being
The cost of FSAP services is paid entirely by the university. You will be responsible for any costs that may result from referral to an outside community resource. You should check the terms of your medical care and flexible spending account programs to determine whether these plans will cover your costs.
FSAP counseling sessions are strictly confidential. FSAP information may only be released by written consent, and is not placed in personnel files. In addition, all FSAP records are coded and maintained exclusively in the FSAP office.
For further information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202) 885-2593.
Through the FSAP program, American University provides emergency loans with repayment through scheduled paycheck deductions to its full time employees. The emergency loan is intended to assist university full time employees who have urgent financial needs.
American University has partnered with a new mental health resource, BHS, to supplement the services provided through AU's Faculty & Staff Assistance Program (FSAP).
With a diverse set of counselors available, BHS provides counseling services and resources 24/7. All FSAP services are free and confidential for AU faculty, staff and their immediate families.
BHS Service Highlights:
- Diverse pool of master’s level clinicians with a wide scope of expertise, including racial trauma, for in-the-moment support and guidance.
- Mental and behavioral health support and resources including short-term counseling (5 sessions) for you and your family.
- Access to lifestyle management resources on the MyBHS portal.
- Free training resources and a monthly wellness webinar.
Connect with a BHS Care Coordinator! Call 800-327-2251 or:
- Visit the MyBHS portal and enter username: AU to connect via Live Chat or request services through an online form
- Download the BHS App on your phone for quick one-touch dialing and access to the MyBHS portal (search “BHSApp”)