We're excited that you'll be joining American University as we build on our legacy of leadership, scholarship, and service, and boldly embrace opportunities for greater impact.
This page summarizes the things that you'll need to do and know to transition into your new role. If you have any questions, please contact the American University AU Payroll Helpline at 202-885-3836.
Sign Your Offer Letter
It is important that you acknowledge your offer by signing and submitting your offer letter before you begin.
New Hire Packet
You will receive an email from "AUHumanResources@american.edu" that contains important new hire documents, resources, and policies to review. Please follow the instructions and complete before your first day at AU.
Forms to complete in your new hire packet
Foreign National Status
Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification
Form W-4, Employee’s Federal Withholding Allowance Certificate
State Tax Withholding Form
DC Pregnancy Accommodation Notice
Equal Employment Opportunity Self-Identify Form
Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability Form
Resources in your new hire packet
Your offer letter will advise you when you are scheduled to attend new-hire orientation. Orientation is held in the Mary Graydon Center, Room 200, from 9:15 a.m. to 5:00 p.m, unless your letter states otherwise.
You will receive an overview of the university, a complete summary of our benefits, and your AU One Card (AU's ID). Breakfast and lunch will be provided, and vegetarian options will be available. Weather permitting, we will take a brief tour of campus, so please wear comfortable shoes.
If you are unable to attend orientation on the above scheduled date, please email the HR Payroll Helpdesk or call 202-885-3836.
There are a few more things that you will need to do once you have started in your role and have access to AU’s portal.
Verify Part 2 of Your Federal I-9 Form (Employment Eligibility)
- This is a federal requirement that shows your proof of U.S. citizenship or legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- Your offer of employment is contingent upon you providing proof of employment eligibility in the United States and must be completed no later than three (3) days of your first day of work.
- Schedule a convenient virtual visit with a member of the Human Resources team to verify Part 2 of your Federal Form I-9.
- You will need to show proof of your employment eligibility at your virtual visit. Acceptable documents that you can use to complete the Form I-9 can be found on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Form I-9 Acceptable Documents site.
SIGN-UP FOR DIRECT DEPOSIT
- Sign up for Direct Deposit, AU’s primary method of payment. You will need your banking information to complete the online form.
- Make your payment selection. Direct Deposit is AU's primary method of payment. If you do not sign up for Direct Deposit, you will be issued a paper check and it will be sent to your school for distribution. Please note that Money Network™ TotalPay® Card appears as an option to receive your pay, but it is no longer available.
- Once you've selected Direct Deposit as your payment method, use the navigation that appears under the Eagle Service logo and select Employee > Banking Information to add your bank information.
ELECT TO RECEIVE ELECTRONIC W2 STATEMENT
- Provide consent to receive your W2 tax statement online.
The W-2 form is the document that employers are required to send to each of their employees and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at the end of the year. The form reports the employee's annual wages and the amount of taxes and is used to file tax returns each year by the April 15 deadline.
Designate your emergency contact
- To complete your emergency contact information, you will need their name, address, and phone number(s).