This page contains a summary of the things that you'll need to do and know to transition into your new role.
If you have any questions, please contact the American University HR Payroll Help at 202-885-3836.
New Hire Packet
You will receive an email from "AUHumanResources@american.edu" that contains important new hire documents, resources, and policies to review. Please follow the instructions and complete before your first day at AU.
Forms to complete in your new hire packet
Foreign National Status
Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification
Form W-4, Employee’s Federal Withholding Allowance Certificate
State Tax Withholding Form
DC Pregnancy Accommodation Notice
Equal Employment Opportunity Self-Identify Form
Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability Form
Resources in your new hire packet
There are a few more things that you will need to do once you have started in your role and have access to AU’s portal.
Verify Part 2 of Your Federal I-9 Form (Employment Eligibility) within 3 days of your start date
- This is a federal requirement that shows your proof of U.S. citizenship or legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- Your offer of employment is contingent upon you providing proof of employment eligibility in the United States and must be completed no later than three (3) days of your first day of work.
- Where to verify Part 2 of your Federal Form I-9
- The Office of Human Resources
Mondays and Fridays from 10:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., by appointment only
To schedule an appointment:
- Go to https://help.american.edu
- Login with your AU credentials
- Select “Appointments” in the top-right header menu
- Select “Office of Human Resources – In Person Visits”
- Bender Library, lower level, walk-in
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Offered on-site by some departments
Check with your HR Representative for availability
- The Office of Human Resources
- You will need to show proof of your employment eligibility when you verify Part 2 of your I-9. Acceptable, original, unexpired documents that you can use to complete the Form I-9 can be found on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Form I-9 Acceptable Documents site.
Complete new hire forms
- COVID-19 Vaccine Attestation
- Health and Safety Faculty, Staff, and Affiliate Acknowledgement
- Hybrid Work Agreement (for staff working remote some days of the week or a modified work schedule)
- Direct Deposit, AU’s primary method of payment. You will need your banking information to complete the online form.
Make your payment selection. Direct deposit is AU's primary method of payment. If you do not sign up for direct deposit, you will be issued a paper check and it will be sent to your school for distribution.
Once you've selected Direct Deposit as your payment method, use the navigation that appears under the Eagle Service logo and select Employee > Banking Information to add your bank information.
- Elect to receive electronic W2 statements
- Provide consent to receive your W2 tax statement online. The W-2 form is the document that employers are required to send to each of their employees and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at the end of the year. The form reports the employee's annual wages and the amount of taxes and is used to file tax returns each year by the April 15 deadline.
- Designate your emergency contact. You will need their name, address, and phone number(s).
- Sign-up to contribute to the American University 403(b) Retirement Plan
- You are eligible to enroll in the Plan immediately without a match and can sign-up on www.netbenefits.com/au. After one year of qualifying service (you have worked 1,000 hours and are scheduled to work at least 20 hours a week), you will automatically be enrolled in the Plan and receive the 2:1 match. If you have a year of service at another non-profit, you may be eligible for the match now. Learn more on our Benefits Retirement page.
Time sheets are found on the myAU.american.edu portal under the Work@AU navigation. Bi-weekly time sheets are due every two weeks. Just fill out the time you worked and click "Sign" and it will be routed to your supervisor for signature.
As a part-time staff member, you can register for training and professional development opportunities on AsuccessfulU. Login to the system to view the online and in-class catalog and register for a class.