Continuing Degree and Non-Degree Student Registration
Note: International students in F 1 or J 1 student status are not eligible to enroll as nondegree students. International students in F 1 or J 1 student status should refer to specific instructions for international students.
Currently-enrolled students receive registration information through their American University e- mail account each fall (for spring registration) and spring (for fall and summer registration).
1. Check your AU e-mail account for information concerning registration.
2. Schedule an appointment with your academic advisor.
Nondegree students receive academic advising and registration assistance through the academic department in which they intend to study.
3. Before meeting with your academic advisor, prepare a draft Course Schedule Worksheet.
It is your responsibility to select a schedule of courses that is free of day/time conflicts. For updated schedule information check the Schedule of Classes.
In addition to meeting course prerequisites, all students wishing to take courses in Applied Music (Department of Performing Arts), the Kogod School of Business, and the School of Communication must obtain approval from the department or school. Students must obtain all permissions or prerequisite waivers from the appropriate departments prior to registration.
4. With your advisor, confirm or revise your semester course schedule. Your advisor will enter an electronic signature into the student registration system to document authorization of your registration. This approval must be in the system before you will be allowed to register for classes.
5. Be sure that you have met all the prerequisites and obtained all required approvals and authorizations for the courses for which you intend to register. You will only be permitted to register for courses for which you have met the prerequisite or received a waiver.
6. Clear any outstanding financial or other stops before attempting to register.
7. Confirm the dates when you are eligible to register. Undergraduate students may register starting on the date corresponding to their completed credits (see Undergraduate Priority Registration).
8. Log onto myau.american.edu, go to "Registration," under "Academics" and follow the instructions for registration. Before processing your registration, you should verify that your chosen course sections are still open.
To view the Schedule of Classes from myau.american.edu, click on Schedule of Classes: General from the Learn @ AU menu.
Admission to courses is subject to space availability and confirmation of eligibility. Your enrollment in courses will be confirmed immediately, but validation of registration is subject to settlement of your student account within the stipulated period for payment of tuition and fees. Failure to comply with payment schedules may result in cancellation of your registration and will necessitate reregistering for courses.
Note: students will not be allowed to re- enroll in course sections that have closed.
The following are not available for web registration: internship, independent study or reading, community service learning projects, consortium, Washington Semester or AU Abroad programs, alumni audit, maintaining matriculation (graduate students), and any courses with a variable credit value.
Once registered, students can view their semester schedules at My Schedule (under "Academics"). To make registration changes (add/drop) within permitted time periods, go to "Course Registration" and follow the instructions to add or drop courses.
See Changes in Registration for more information on adding and dropping courses.
Special Departmental Requirements for Nondegree Students:
- Departmental approval must be obtained for nondegree registration in courses at the 600 or 700 level.
- School of International Service (SIS): Approval must be obtained for all courses at the 500, 600, or 700 level.
- Kogod School of Business (KSB): Approval must be obtained for nondegree registration in all KSB courses. In addition, nondegree students must demonstrate that prerequisites have been met. If prerequisites have been completed at a college or university other than American University, students must provide copies of appropriate transcripts. Graduate students must have satisfactory GMAT scores, and a satisfactory grade point average in the last 60 hours of undergraduate work. Students must provide copies of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts and GMAT results.
- School of Communication (SOC): Approval must be obtained for nondegree registration in all SOC courses.