Skip to main content

Housing & Dining Programs

Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs will continue to update the details below for the 2016-2017 academic year.

What is Housing & Dining Programs' address and contact information?

Housing & Dining Programs is located in Anderson Hall on the first floor. You can contact us by calling 202-885-3370.


What is the Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)?

The Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a Federal law that applies to educational agencies and institutions that receive funding under a program administered by the U. S. Department of Education. FERPA affords students certain rights with respect to their education records.


When can I check into the residence halls? How do I check in?

You can check into the residence halls anytime on or after the specified dates and times for each semester.

First year students can begin arriving to campus on Saturday, August 20th at 9:00am. 

Returning students may begin arriving to campus on Wednesday, August 24th at 9:00am. 

For more information about our move-in hours please check our move-in page!

To check into your hall simply stop by the front desk of the hall you will be living in:

  • Present your AU One Card or Government Issued photo ID for verification.
  • The Desk Receptionist will have you fill out your registration card, sign for your room and mail keys, and then hand you the keys to your mailbox. Once you have done this, you are checked into your hall and can begin to move in your belongings.

How do I send packages to my room before I check in?

To send belongings and packages ahead of time, please make sure that they are addressed to your room in the following format:

  Student/Intern Name
  Residence Hall - Room Number
  4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
  Washington, DC 20016

Please note for academic year student deliveries, we cannot begin accepting packages for the Fall 2016 semester until Monday, August 15, 2016. Any delivery attempts prior to this date will be refused for storage space reasons. 


Does Housing & Dining Programs provide cleaning equipment and supplies for residents?

No. Housing & Dining Programs assumes responsibility for the cleaning of common area and community spaces while the responsibility for the cleaning of student rooms and/or suites remains with the residents of that unit. Housing & Dining Programs encourages residents to supply their own cleaning materials in order to maintain a healthy and safe living condition in their unit. Our office and staff do not provide vacuum cleaners or other cleaning supplies for use by students. In accordance with the Housing License Agreement, students are expected to return their room to "broom clean" condition upon checking out. Failure to do so may result in cleaning charges assessed at the time of checkout. As a result, residents are encouraged to supply their own cleaning materials in order to maintain a healthy and safe living condition in their unit.


How many laundry machines are on each floor and how much do they cost?  

Each floor of the residence halls has approximately two-three washers and dryers. Each wash cycle costs $1.75 and each dry cycle costs $1.75. On-campus laundry machines operate on EagleBucks for increased student convenience.


How do Laundry Alerts work?

American University students can check the status of all on-campus laundry machines by using the Laundry Alerts website. Additionally, they offer a notification option which sends students an e-mail when their laundry is completed.


Who do I call for issues with laundry?

The laundry machines at American University are contracted through Caldwell & Gregory. All washers on campus are energy efficient, front load washers. For best results, it is suggested that you use high-efficiency liquid detergent to avoid machine issues. All service issues with the washers or dryers should be submitted to Caldwell & Gregory online or called in at 1-800-927-9274. All card reader issues should be submitted to 2FIX.


How big are the beds at American University? Will I need special linens?  

A twin bed and mattress are provided for each resident in American University's residence halls, thus there is no special requirement for purchasing linens. Extra long beds and mattresses are available for qualifying students. To request an extra long bed and mattress, please e-mail


How can I participate in AU's recycling program?  

Develop a routine in your residence hall room by sorting office paper (mixed paper), newspaper, bottles-plastic-cans, and trash. We recommend at least two containers, one black (lined with clear plastic) and one blue (no liner). The black container is for trash and the blue container is for office paper (mixed paper). Newspaper and bottles/plastic cans may be placed into corridor containers as needed. Smaller "saddle baskets" can be used for those interested in sorting newspaper and bottles/plastic cans in their office or residential room.

Place used corrugated cardboard next to any recycling station (break down boxes until they are flat). The cardboard will be taken to a large exterior container by housekeeping.

Additionally, there are clothes recycling centers located at the outside of each residence hall where students can give away clothes they no longer need or want.

All of AU's recycled materials are taken to a Materials Recycling Facility (MRF). At the MRF these materials are sorted, grouped and transported again for reprocessing into usable products.


Does AU offer summer storage options for students?

Since summer storage is a popular option for students looking for a way to store their belongings for the summer months. Housing & Dining Programs is pleased to partner with the UPS Store to provide safe and convenient storage for all AU students. The UPS Store is located on campus and provides "in-room" delivery when student items are returned in August. For more information about summer storage, please visit their UPS Store.

Important Dates

August 20, 2016

Residence halls open for new students at 9 a.m.

August 24, 2016

Residence halls open for returning students at 9 a.m.

*Residents of Congressional and Federal Halls should refer to guidelines sent to their AU email for move-in timelines

September 13, 2016

Meal plan change deadline at 5 p.m.

October 14, 2016 - October 16, 2016

Fall Break (halls remain open)

November 1, 2016

Spring 2017 Housing Termination deadline

November 23, 2016 – November 27, 2016

Thanksgiving Break (halls remain open)

December 21, 2016

Residence halls close for undergraduates at 12 p.m.

* 12 p.m. on December 22 for graduating seniors

January 8, 2017

Residence halls open for Spring Semester at 3 p.m.

January 17, 2017

First day of Spring classes

January 27, 2017

Housing applications for 2017-2018 due at 5 p.m.

February 1, 2017

Meal plan change deadline at 5 p.m.

March 12, 2017 – March 19, 2017

Spring Break (halls remain open)

May 10, 2017

Residence halls close for undergraduates at 12 p.m.

May 14, 2017

Summer Student Housing move-in begins at 3 p.m.