Food for Fines Program
For more than twenty years, the Library has partnered with the AU community to provide selected food items for those in need, while giving Library users a break on fines. This year, we are collaborating with the Market, AU’s food pantry. Located on the lower level of the Letts Hall, the Market is student-operated and a Capital Area Food Bank "Pantry Partner." Under the management of the Office of the Vice President of Campus Life and the Center for Community Engagement, the Market opened September 5, 2017 on the lower level of Letts Hall. The formation of the pantry is in direct response to the recent rise in food insecurity at college campuses nationwide. By partnering with the food pantry, the Library hopes to continue serving those in need right here on our campus.
This year Food for Fines will take place November 13th- December 17th. You can pay up to $20.00 off your AU fines by making a donation. The list below details accepted food items for this program.
- Canned vegetables (low sodium, no salt added) 8oz or larger, 1 can = $1.00 off fines
- Canned black beans, lentils, chili 8oz or larger, 1 can = $1.00 off fines
- Canned/boxed soup 8oz or larger, 1 can/box = $1.00 off fines
- Canned tuna or salmon 6oz or larger, 1 can = $1.00 off fines
- Rice 32 oz. or larger 1 bag, $1.00 off fines
- Boxed mac and cheese 1 box, 7.25 oz. or larger = $1.00 off fines
- Boxed pasta = $1.00 off fines
- Canned/boxed tomatoes, tomato sauce = $1.00 off fines
- Granola or cereal bars 1 box, 6ct or more = 4.00 off fines
- Single-serving healthy snacks 1 box, 8ct or more = $4.00 off fines
- Peanut butter (no hydrogenated oils/trans fats), almond butter, sunflower seed butter 1 jar, 18oz or larger = $4.00 off fines
- Soy milk, almond milk (boxed non-refrigerated), 8oz or larger, 1 box = $1.00 off fines
A copy of this list can be requested in-person at our Circulation and Course Reserves Desk, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at 202-885-3221. Donations should be dropped off at the Circulation and Course Reserves Desk located on the first level of the Library. The Food for Fines offer does not extend to other consortium libraries.