The AU Arts Management Program, in collaboration with Strathmore, offers a prestigious merit-based award to full-time incoming or rising 2nd year graduate students in the Arts Management Program. MA candidates receive a scholarship for a designated number of academic credits plus a stipend and an opportunity to pursue professional projects at Strathmore, a major arts center located in the DC area.
Strathmore presents and produces exemplary visual and performing arts programs for diverse audiences, creates dynamic arts education experiences, and nurtures creative ideas and conversations that advance the future of the arts.
The organization’s hallmark is the Music Center at Strathmore, with a 1,976-seat concert hall and education complex. Its core campus also includes the historic Mansion at Strathmore, which features an intimate Music Room and art galleries. In 2015, Strathmore opened AMP, a 230-seat cabaret-style venue located just up Rockville Pike the burgeoning Pike District of Montgomery County. Strathmore’s signature education, mission-driven programs include the Strathmore Student Concerts, the Artist in Residence program, the Strathmore Children’s Chorus and Maryland Classic Youth Orchestras, and its Spring Break at Strathmore camp.
Strathmore is looking for a graduate fellow with:
- Excellent attention to detail, written and oral communication, customer service, organizational and time-management skills;
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills;
- Professional experience and interest in marketing and community outreach;
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends to accommodate events and performances;
- Experience with analytics programs and data assessment.
Publications - 30%
- Proof and edit a variety of Strathmore print and electronic publications and advertisements to ensure accuracy and consistency
- Write content for various promotional pieces and the website
- Manage distribution of a variety of collateral onsite and in the community
- Light design and layout of posters, flyers, and other content if possible
Grassroots Marketing – 20%
- Work with Grassroots/Group Sales Marketing Manager to determine strong matches for grassroots outreach.
- Make connections in the community to encourage ticket sales and put together special promotions when appropriate
- Assist with promotion of Strathmore’s community outreach programs and Bloom Initiative
Research, Data, and Administration - 30%
- Research artists, events, and outreach opportunities to enhance marketing strategies
- Regularly pull and perform analysis of available data to help inform marketing decisions
- Track sales for upcoming events for easy comparison along with initiatives taken
- Send out daily sales reports
- Attend weekly marketing meetings and provide input into marketing and communications strategy, goals, and objectives. Take notes at these meetings and distribute minutes and action items after each meeting.
Customer Service/Community Relations - 20%
- Represent Strathmore at select performances and events throughout the year to help promote future programming and to provide customer service
- Assist with customer service inquiries and issues that come in via phone, web, and social media
US citizenship or permanent residence is required. The Fellow must be enrolled full-time in the arts management master's program at American University and meet the requirements of a Merit Awardee at American University.
During the academic year, the Strathmore Fellow will work 20 hours/week at Strathmore (summer hours are handled separately). The Fellow is awarded a $15,000 stipend and 6 credits of tuition remission per academic year.
To apply, please submit a statement by
March 2, 2018
at 5:00 p.m. EST (one page or less) with your contact information and resume describing your interest and qualifications for the Strathmore Fellowship to email@example.com, subject line "Strathmore."