Arab Studies (Undergraduate Certificate)
Admission to the Program
Open to undergraduate degree and nondegree students.
- 31 credit hours of approved coursework with at least 15 credit hours at or above the 300-level with grades of C or better. Grades of C- or D in certificate program courses are not accepted toward the fulfillment of certificate requirements, although these grades will be included in the calculation of the GPA. Students must have at least a 3.0 GPA in certificate courses in order to be awarded a certificate. Students in certificate programs must take a minimum of 6 credit hours during each 12-month period and complete the certificate in four years. International students must enroll in 12 credit hours each semester (except for summer). A maximum of 6 credit hours earned at an accredited college or university may be applied toward the certificate as transfer credit.
Required (6 credit hours)
- SISU-365 Topics in Identity, Race, Gender, and Culture: Middle East (3) 3 : The World of Islam
- AWST-225 Arab Societies FA3 (3) 3
Electives (15 credit hours)
Complete five courses from the following, with at least one selected from each group:
History, Culture, and Society
- ANTH-439 Culture, History, Power, Place (3) 3 (topics)
- ECON-458 Economics of the World Regions (3) 3 : The Arab Economies
- HIST-248 Introduction to Modern Middle East (3) 3
- SOCY-531 Transnational Reach (3) 3 (topics)
Arabic Language (10 credit hours)
Complete two courses from the following: